Sunday, April 10, 2011

Listening to your Heart: A 5 Minute Practice

There are various approaches to meditation. My biggest challenge over the years has been the struggle to quiet my mind; my inner voices. But I found the best time for me to practice is immediately upon waking up. I quickly check in with myself just before my brain has a chance to inundate me with anything (tasks, bills, worries) I have on my plate.
Something about those first five minutes upon awakening in the morning, reminds me of when I was a kid trying to hear the sound of the ocean in the seashells* my mother collected. I couldn't hear a thing no matter how hard I tried. All I could hear was what I had later heard described as "white noise". Well that "noise" is what I now focus on while I listen to my heart. Instinct, God, spirit, the Universe, heart. Call it whatever you need to, to make u feel comfortable.  In the end, it is the core source of who we are as beings in the here and now.

The Practice...

When u wake up, open your eyes and make sure you're really awake. Then close your eyes and listen to what your heart is telling you. And don't forget to breath.
Your heart is not a parent telling you what to do. It's not judging you...it's your very own energy giving you the message of the day. Shhhhhh. Don't ask for anything. Just hone in on the message you're receiving. You have the option to accept or reject the message. Write it down and continue your day with the message always lingering in the background. At the end of your day ask yourself: Did that message help me today?

Try it out! Let me know how it goes. I'd love to hear.

By the way, in case you're wondering....This morning, my message was to tell someone about my five minute practice.


*My Mom's seashells looked like this...

No comments: